Wednesday, January 23, 2008

When marketing a good idea goes too far

http://www.slashfood.com/2008/01/16/starbucks-new-skinny-platform-ruffles-feathers/

I don't drink a lot of coffee, and the other day at the bank the teller gave me a coupon for Starbucks' new "skinny" latte, implying a low calorie, healthier alternative to coffee. It got me thinking when I saw the coupon, that there must be some people that are slightly upset with the word choice Starbucks decided to use. I know that if it occured to me, it had to have occured to someone else as well, especially individuals larger than myself. I got online and found a couple of articles regarding this issue, confirming that I wasn't the only one who thought this was slightly upsetting. I am, in all honesty, not bothered by this, but I think that they have taken a good concept, and poorly marketed it, causing somewhat of a disturbance in the coffee world. This article talks about the word choice with their marketing campaign and worth the read. Especially with today's world very concerned with healthier choices, and (as we are talking about right now in class) organic alternatives. Inside of this article is also a link to a letter from a Starbucks barista who was the original person to speak up about their word choice for this new product. In her letter she states that she refuses to use this new marketing campaign and won't promote this product. Interesting that the first to speak up about being upset about this was from within.