Sunday, March 16, 2008

MTV Commercials

I find the commercials on MTV very fascinating. I used to watch MTV years ago, and occasionally happen to watch every now and again. The commercials on MTV seem to catering to the short attention spans of the young generation, and they seem to be getting crazier, for lack of a better word. It seems like just music isn’t enough. When they advertise a new band, or a new song, they don’t just play the music. They have a bunch of visual designs dancing in the back round. On top of this, they only keep an image on the screen for a few seconds. When you really look at it, it’s just a bunch of short flashes, with music in the back round.
I am personally not a fan of MTV, and I haven’t been since I was 11. I am not sure if this is the reason, but it is still interesting to me. I have to think that a huge company like MTV must have millions to spend on marketing every year. They must be catering to the ADD, short attention span generation that is watching MTV now. It seems a little irresponsible to be catering to a problem that big, and maybe making it worse. I guess pop culture has always been like that. I just find it fascinating how fast things can change.