Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Kentucky Fried Cruelty

In class on 2/12/08 we were shown a video made by PETA on the cruelty of the chickens that Kentucky Fried Chicken uses. I found these videos to be somewhat disturbing. I understand that Peta was trying to get the point across that animal cruelty is wrong... and maybe that chickens should be treated the same way as humans, but I found the way that Peta went about these videos was a little much. I really thought it was pretty gross that they showed the ranchers brutally beating the "chicken" (a man in a chicken costume) and also how they showed the chicken being shocked to death by a TV into the bath tub, and lastly they show Col. Sanders giving the chickens, that are harshly caged, needles full of drugs. Overall, I guess Peta got what they wanted from these videos, which was shock value. I just wish the videos didn't have to be so weird they give me the creeps. Maybe Peta decided to play the videos off this way because our society is so into the gruesome, gory, type of movies and TV shows. Maybe Peta felt this was the only way that they could get people involved with animal rights... by making the animals seem like humans, and putting the animals in a human like situation.
Here is the web page if anyone wants to check it out: http://www.kentuckyfriedcruelty.com/.